Details from Berk Consulting and Tacoma Public Library:
Dear Community Members,
BERK Consulting and the Tacoma Public Library invite you to apply for an opportunity to serve as a Community Engagement Partner for the Tacoma Public Library (TPL) Eastside & Hilltop Feasibility Study. More information on the opportunity can be found on our project website and below:
The City of Tacoma and Tacoma Public Library (TPL) are studying the feasibility of developing public library services for the Eastside and Hilltop neighborhoods of Tacoma. A critical aspect of this work is intentional and comprehensive community engagement at each phase of the project. BERK Consulting is supporting the City of Tacoma and TPL in this effort.
We are soliciting applications from local community-based organizations to lead and facilitate engagement with a diverse range of community stakeholders, including local youth; Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) community members; people experiencing homelessness; older adults; people with disabilities; the LGBTQ+ community; people with limited English proficiency; and other vulnerable populations.
We will select up to ten community partners to organize and facilitate community engagement activities and answer key questions:
- “What do Eastside Tacoma and Hilltop residents hope for and need from their library system?” and,
- “How can the library support life challenges, joys, and milestones?”
Each engagement partner will organize and host engagement activities to answer the key questions. Activities may include workshops, focus groups, surveys, open houses, or other creative ideas. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, partners may conduct activities virtually or in-person, following public health guidance as provided by the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department. Partners are required to have at least one planning call and one follow-up call to discuss outcomes with BERK staff.
- Support for partners: BERK Consulting can provide additional support such as preparing materials, facilitation, or arranging translation and interpretation services, as needed. BERK will also provide example questions and meeting ideas.
- Budget: Selected community partners will be provided funding up to $2,400.
- Timeframe: The timeframe for completing this work is October to November 2021. Successful partners may be invited to continue for a second round of engagement anticipated for January-February 2022 (the second round will also be funded up to $2,400).
To apply: please submit brief answers to 11 short questions via our Google Form by October 4, 2021, 5pm PST: https://forms.gle/WwJq1UWMuBsRYudq7
An optional Information Session for interested applicants will be held on September 24, 2021, 1pm-2pm PST. Please RSVP here: https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_8XaefGXnRtSJEJ4CeixRfQ (a recording and written Q&A will be available to those unable to attend
We will select partners based on applicants’ community relationships and proposed engagement activities. Collectively, the group should reach a wide range of Eastside and Hilltop residents.
Jonathan R. Morales
206.493.2366 | DIRECT